The Hood River County Transportation District is preparing a plan to enhance the area’s public bus service in both the short term and over the next 20 years. When completed, the transit master plan will describe how the bus system can enhance public access to key destinations for residents, employees and visitors of Hood River County with a focus on people who rely on the bus to get around.
The transit master plan will include:
- Existing bus routes and areas for improvement
- New bus route options in Hood River County
- Priority enhancements to intercity bus services
- A plan to fund and complete the improvements
The final plan depends on answers to key community questions:
- Where are the major attractions in Hood River County?
- Which locations are difficult to reach without a car?
- Who needs to access bus service?
- What are the most common trip purposes when people take the bus?
- How should we prioritize limited funding?
- What services, programs or benefits will help encourage the use of public transit?
Everyone benefits from better public transit
Increases travel choices
People have more travel options in a better transit system, making it easier to take the bus where you need to go, or make it part of your journey on foot or by bike.
Not everyone can drive a car. Transit improvements will help people reliably reach their destinations on schedule.
Addresses traffic congestion
More people on the bus means fewer cars on the road. Better transit will be part of the plan to ease congestion in downtown Hood River.
Existing public transit service
Established fixed bus routes provide scheduled service through Hood River with intercity service to The Dalles and Portland. The transit master plan will explore ways to enhance existing routes and add new routes that improve community benefits. MORE INFO: catransit.org